"The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
— Chris McCandless

September 13, 2011

2nd Week

This past week I had all my of classes, got my kennitala (Icelandic ID number), registered for classes, opened a bank account, signed my housing contract, got my housing bill, and I got internet! I am officially a member of Icelandic society!  The whole kennitala process was a pain and not very well communicated. When I first arrived the directorate told me it would take two weeks and that they would send it to me. Almost two weeks later my friend said she got her kennitala by going up to our schools service desk and asking them if they had it.  I tried that and it also worked for me and I finally got my kennitala and got to register at the university. Luckily I listened to my friend because I still haven't gotten anything in the mail from the directorate! The university should have emailed us immediately once they got our kennitala because we need them in order to register for classes and have access to Ugla--a website where our teachers post assignments, readings, sound files, etc. At least I got mine on time and could register for classes before the deadline of Sep 10. All my friends were also having the same problem so I wasn't too worried during the whole ordeal. As soon as I got my kennitala I went with my friend to open a bank account, and I should be getting a stipend and debit card soon so that I can pay my housing and have a small food allowance. Friday I had to sign my housing contract which then granted me access to the internet in my room (finally!) which is where I am blogging right now :).

I also had all my classes last week. I have British literature on Tuesday, Icelandic culture and Pronunciation and Speech on Wed, and all three classes on Thursday. All classes are going well so far. I am enjoying reading the poetry in my Brit Lit class--a subject I have shied away from. I enjoy Icelandic culture so far--on Thursday we discussed the history of Iceland; history is a subject I have really missed learning since high school. We will also get to read a saga and three novels by Icelandic authors in that class, so I am excited for that. My Icelandic language class (Pronunciation and Speech) is going pretty well so far, but I imagine it will soon be getting difficult. I find the language a lot different than what I am used to--with different letters and sounds than I am used to making. Today (Tuesday) starts my second week of classes and I am excited to see what is in store.

On the fun side of things--I had a really good week. Most weeknights I spend in the kitchen talking with my floor mates. Last Thursday and Friday my friends and I cooked together and shared a meal. Friday night I helped cook pizza and it was delicious! Then our dorm hosted a party Friday night, and it was quite successful. We had a lot of people from our dorm come and other exchange students and Icelanders that we knew. We also got to see the Northern Lights for the first time, they were not super bright but it was amazing to be able to finally see them. Saturday my friends and I went to a restaurant called the Noodle Station and got Thai noodles that were delicious. At night we walked down to the water to see the northern lights, although I think we missed them at their peak. Sunday I signed up to go whale watching with my friends Lauren and Emily because we are a part of an exchange group ESN (Erasmus student network) and got a 50% discount on whale watching. It was a beautiful day and the views of the city and mountains were gorgeous.  We unfortunately didn't get to see any whales (they see mostly minke whales out there) but we did see porpoises. Then we went to the flea market and there were actually some good deals there so I will probably venture back next week. Since Sunday was Sep 11, my friends and I wanted to do something "American" so we went out to dinner at this really good hamburger place by the harbor. I got a cheeseburger, fries, and a chocolate milkshake--delicious!! I had been craving a milkshake for soo long and it was awesome! Then we went back to the dorm and hung out in the kitchen. Yesterday, Monday, I did homework, school stuff, etc. As we were eating our dinners in the kitchen, a few of us wanted dessert so we decided we would go for ice cream later. Now you may not believe it, but Icelanders LOVE ice cream. They eat it all year round, and will stand outside in the freezing cold and snow to get some. So we were all excited to finally try the famous ice cream here. Our Icelandic friend Begga took us, and we left around 10:00 at night and the line for the shop was out the door! We weren't even downtown, we were in some residential area and the place was packed. I got a strawberry/chocolate twist in a waffle cone, and it was very good. Then as we were walking back to campus we saw the northern lights, like really saw them. They were amazing, even Begga said she had never seen them that bright. They formed a green band all the way across the sky and we could see it moving. It almost looked like a green river in the sky. It quickly changes shape and sometimes it would swirl around. We stood there for probably 15 minutes in awe and shouting--this is amazing!! But since it was getting late we headed back to campus, where I had some tea with my friend Vanessa and then went to bed. Overall a very successful week, and I hope I continue to see the northern lights! I plan on going out to the countryside sometime where I can really see them glow!

No comments:

Post a Comment